On April 28th 1921, an application was made to the
government for a suitable site for the school in New Delhi.
The building in Daryaganj was proving to be inadequate for
the growing needs of the school.
In response to the application made, the government decided
to allot a plot of 50 acres of the Cantonment Road for the
school. The place, however, was considered too far out for
the Old Delhi Boys, so the government was requested to
select a more suitable site near the new city. It was
intended to build the school in North Delhi and provide
accommodation for about 200 resident boys with staff
quarters and ample playfields.
Negotiations with the government for a site continued for
several years. In 1930, the present site, covering an area
of 25 acres of land was handed over to the school
authorities. On 4th August of the same year, the lease was
In the summer of 1931, building operations were commenced on
the new site. The designs and plans were prepared by Messrs.
C.G. and F.B. Blomfield, Architects.
The foundation was laid on 24th April 1931, when the whole
school, including the staff and several members of the
Managing Committee, assembled at the site and each laid a
brick on the foundation signifying the fact that the
foundation was laid jointly by students, teachers managers
of the school.
On the 4th of January 1933, the building operations
commenced was formally inaugurated
in the presence of students- present and past, teachers and
managers by Sardar Bahadur Sir Sobha Singh.
*Source: A Successful Experiment in Education